Doctorate at the
Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS)
Welcome to the web-site for the online registration to a doctorate at BIGSAS
The online registration is part of the application for acceptance of the doctorate at BIGSAS (§ 4 (4) of the doctoral degree regulations). For a complete registration the contact and personal data have to be provided according to the German Higher Education Statistics Act (HStatG). For more information click here.
Link to registration
Access to the portal for members of the UBT Graduate School: LINK.
You do not have a valid bt-identification?
For the registration without a bt-identification you get access to the system by naming your e-mail address, forename, surname as well as the name of your supervisor on the following website:
The system is sending a confirmation including a link which has to be opened. Now you will be compiled as a user. Login and password will be sent to you by e-mail.
In addition to filling in the online form, you will be asked to attach supportive documents (in English, French or German; please provide certificates etc. as certified copies). Required supportive documents are:
1) The supervision agreement (Link to form)
2) A project proposal of maximum 10 pages in cluding a summary of your proposal which lines out the aims of your dissertation project as well as a detailed work and time schedule. Please include your name, the page number and the title of the proposal on each page. The proposal should also include a one-page summary of the proposal in English.
3) A one-page letter of motivation in which you explain why you apply to BIGSAS
4) A soft copy of your written and graded Master’s or equivalent thesis
5) Two letters of recommendation in one PDF personally signed by the authors (the authors need to be from the your academic background and mentioned with title and university/institute)
6) A Curriculum Vitae (CV) showing your academic progress and your qualifications in detail
7) A self-declaration that you have not been accepted for a doctorate at another university or are enrolled at another university or university of applied sciences
8) A Secondary School Graduation Certificate / Higher Education Entrance Certificate, please upload one single PDF with your school leaving certificate(s) incl. translation (e.g. A-Level, Baccalaureat, High-School-Diploma).
9) A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent degree certificate including complete pages of the transcript of records (e.g. Licence ou Maîtrise, a certified copy is requested), please upload one single PDF with your bachelor’s degree (incl. certificate, academic transcript of records with grading scale and a translation of both the certificate and the transcript of records)
10) A Master's Degree or equivalent degree certificate, including complete pages of the transcript of records (e.g. DEA or DESS, a certified copy is requested), please upload one single PDF with your master’s degree (incl. certificate, academic transcript of records with grading scale and a translation of both the certificate and the transcript of records)
11) A list of academic publications (if available)